Search This Blog

Friday 1 July 2011

Clumsiness and grace

As most Lolitas, I try to be graceful and collected at all times. The old arm swinging is long gone, and I don't cross my legs if I can help it, and don't run unless I really have to. I know most of you serious Lolitas do the same, simply because that kind of behaviour doesn't really suit Lolita.
Even if some claim that there aren't really a code for how to behave as a Lolita, I think there is. A lot of those rules are the same as for a Lady - being graceful and gracious is really a virtue. If you haven't already, I warmly recommend reading 'Her Ladyship's Guide to Modern Manners'. Besides being an entertaining read, it's also very useful for everyone who wants good manners.
I much enjoyed it when I read it, although I have to confess that a lot of it is merely common sense, but it had several good pointers. 
It also says something that I really liked and try to live after - that being a Lady is being responsible. Even if others behave badly or childishly, you have to be the island amidst the stormy sea, and keep your calm and patients at all times. It has helped me to learn how to ignore and understand bad behavior, and for that I am greatful.



Even if all this is good and true and I try, nobody is perfect and I seem to attract little accidents...
You know, the kind that's really not supposed to be able to happen... We like to call them 'freak accidents', since they're so strange. Like...gluing your fingers together, or cut yourself on something that isn't sharp, or drop something that lands on your foot in the exact wrong angle - all other angles wouldn't have hurt.
And today, I did it again! I was going to remove a foot on one of my dolls, because I needed to do adjustments to the knee. And as the foot came off, the hook didn't - I lost my grip on the elastics, which was instantly snapped back into the leg - bringing the hook with it. Unfortunately, it cut my little finger as it went.

Owwie. T_T

So...yeah. My plans to finish the doll today, and try my hands on adjusting a princess-dress pattern pretty much flew out the window. Let's hope I've gotten used to having a stiff little finger later today, so I might at least be able to look at the pattern.
I also have a couple of patterns to make for friends - I've not forgotten about you, sweeties. <3

No comments: