Search This Blog

Sunday 28 August 2011

Thunder and Misunderstandings

You know when you go to bed, it's a fine evening and not a cloud in sight - only to be abruptly woken up by thunder a few hours later? I got up staggering like a drunk, to pull the cords on our computers and the tv - too tired to be afraid - but once I got back to bed...
I don't fear a lot of things, but...that thunder. I learned even as a kid that it's not the sound that should be scary, but the light. And the flashes of light in this thunderstorm was so strong they lit up our whole apartment every time. It was frightening, and hard to ignore.
Towards the end there were only flashes and no sound... Just an eerie silence after each flashing light.

And then there was rain.

Yesterday I pondered a bit on how easy it is to misunderstand each other. A friend of mine ranted on about how people tend to take things personally - and lash out personally as a sort of petty 'revenge', even if the statement wasn't personal to begin with. I think it's kind of sad.
Most of the time we don't do things to be mean, we don't say things to be mean - often an offensive statement is usually more of a statement of concern, something we wish others to learn from so they don't make unnecessary mistakes. But that doesn't work well with the most primitive part of the brain (more active in some people) who instantly defend themselves aggressively without thinking - taking every little thing as a personal offense.

I mean... I never do things to be mean. There's always a bigger meaning to the things that might sound offensive, and most often it's a worry that drives it. I want people to be happy. You know the old question people can never seem to answer; "What's the meaning of life?"
I have my answer, and I wonder why it was so difficult to see: "Happiness".
In my happiness harsch words and enemies have no place, I wish to live out every day the best I can, and be happy. I don't bother myself with quarrels. I wish more people would do that, because that would mean less wounded prides.
It's not so difficult to just stop the feeling of resentment and pause for a moment, and ask yourself the questions: "Was that meant to be offensive? Was it directed at me? Do this person have a reason to worry about me? If I was that person...what would I think? Why would I say such a thing?"

And if it's still not clear...ask. Ask that person: How did you mean?

It's not hard. :) And every person that meant no offense will asnswer.

No comments: