Search This Blog

Thursday 29 December 2011

Hello Kitty

Oh, you knew it would come sooner or later! *laugh* I guess it wouldn't be a surprise to anyone if I said I like Hello Kitty. ;) Let's face it, it is cute. The whole concept that is. I have a few PC-games that I really enjoy - Dream Carnival, Cutie World, Bubblegum Girlfriends... - so I was pleasantly surprised when I stumbled across this: Hello Kitty Online. It's exactly what it looks like; a Hello Kitty mmo! And better up, it's absolutely free!

Maybe I should take it from the beginning. I've played Wow for about four years, but the last year...well, anyone that play it at higher level would understand what I say if I say that the game has lost the spark. It's become very boring and it's not challanging anymore. So, I've been looking for something else to play. I tried Swtor (Star wars the old republic), but found it even more droll - and gray! The whole game is gray! @.@
What to do? Well, I found this page: MMO Hut, which reviews and lists free online games. And there are so many! I had no idea. Among them I found a few of interest, and unfortunately realised that one of them had been abandoned, so I ended up installing Hello Kitty Online.

So here's my little mini review. :) First of all, it's really cute. <3 It has the same Hello Kitty feel as ever - every npc in the game is very sweet, understanding and caring. The tone is very light and I appreciate that, since I don't like the games where everything is doom, doom and gloom. And gray. HKO is light and pastel coloured, the only thing that's a little freakish (probably not intended to be that though) is how everyone have statues of themselves or Hello Kitty on their houses, or their picture on the door mat of there house...or the Hello Kitty ponds. Wow. o.o It looks pretty narcissistic, and quite a bit scary, but I don't think that's intended.
Anyway.
Unlike other mmo's, HKO's focus isn't kill monsters. It's rather a collect and craft game. Sure, you do smack a few (adorable!) monster over the head with a broomstick, but you don't actually kill anything. They just fall asleep, so you could as well just through dream dust on them. I'm playing solo, which is a slight disadvantage in this game - at least when it comes to your farm. You own your own farm, where you can plant things and build a house. The house is the main problem, since if you're alone it takes quite a lot of time to build it.
The only thing that I've found mildly annoying is that you travel on foot everywhere, though that may change on higher levels I've yet to see anyone with a mount. The maps aren't large, but there's a lot of running back and forth. I advice checking the official wiki for the items you will need for quests before you sell anything, or you will do quite a bit more running than necessary.

Oh, and if you decide to play it - remember that the Dream Carnival is a playable downloader! It's not really part of the game, so don't bother levelling anything! You can't keep anything from the Dream Carnival when you start the real game.

It gets a 4/5 from me, because even with this tiny flaw it's a really fun, lighthearted game and I like that. :)

No comments: