Search This Blog

Tuesday 19 February 2013

Rude hagglers


You know, as an artisan I come across a lot of people interested in what I do, whether it be dresses or my handmade dolls. There are a lot of people that don't argue, accept the price for what the handiwork is worth, appreciating the art and the work of the artist.

And then, there are the "whiners". I'd like to call them whiners, because they have two things in common: they want the item, but they argue that the price is too high even if it isn't. I find this behaviour insulting, since I put a lot of time and effort into sewing, sculpting or beading, and I don't think my prices are over the normal. Still, it keeps coming back. I never cut my prices unless someone offers to by many of an item, and when these people realise that, one of three things usually happens: a) they accept the price, realising their haggling didn't work, b) they disappear without another word, realising their haggling didn't work, and c) they pull a sob story or similar.

I can accept the first two, but the third just infuriates me because it's rude and tasteless. Some woman tried to make me cut the price 50% (!!!) on an item because it was to her "wedding", trying to flatter me with claiming it looked "just like an old lost heirlom". Right, as if. The latest addition to these tasteless, rude whiners were some person claiming their father was dying (!) of cancer, and they wanted to buy one of my works as a present. Then, when I told them the price wasn't expensive, they said he'd died (!!!!). I'm speechless. It's so plain obvious it's a made up story, since you just don't tell a random person on the net such a thing. I'm horrified that people can make up something like that. Just how twisted do you have to be? What is it about internet that makes all these creeps turn up in droves? Is it because it's so easy to lie when you write? That it's so easy to put away a message and ignore the consequences, and ignore the fact that it's a real person on the other end.

I mean, this is the pouting little child gone haywire. I just don't understand what kind of person it takes to use such arguments. To draw sob stories like they were a trumph card. And what people actually buy these stories? I mean, why would these people pull such stories if they don't work?

I'm just upset that people who doesn't craft doesn't realise how much time, work and materials it goes into making something pretty. I suggest these people go and try to make it themselves, and maybe then they'll realise just how rude it is to ask an artisan to cut the prices. Sure, haggle on commercial items, but never, ever, ever haggle on artisan work.

No comments: