Search This Blog

Monday 4 February 2013

Odd one out

(From SuperLovers)

There's been quite a lot interviews lately, for several different reasons, but some of them on the subject of Lolita. I've had questions through the years about my style, but most of them along the line where I buy my clothes. When I say that I sew most of them, people are surprised, and I'm a bit curious why.

Sweden is one of those countries where fashion is pretty main stream. Nothing really sticks out, and if it does, everyone has it so it's still main stream. (That said, just because many wears it doesn't mean I think it looks good... *thinks of a lot of leggings*) But if you can walk through store upon store and think 'there's nothing here for me', then there isn't many choices left. Either you sew or import, or find that obscure little shop nobody knows about. I'd say I do all of those three.

There is so much interesting fashion out there (especially from Japan, and sometimes Korea) that you just don't find here, because they'd not have enough customers to get by. Of course, finding things this way means you have to sift through a lot of things to pick out the items that suits your style, I've to this day not found any brand where I like everything. Most of my things follow a certain...hm...feeling, I suppose. I don't buy clothes to fit in, I buy clothes and accessories because they appeal to me, sometimes because they will match something.

I think it's a mistake to not buy clothes with your heart, since I feel they reflect the You quite poorly if you do. That said - of course 'regular' clothes have their time and place as well, but even then, I don't dress up in just about anything. You'd never catch me in jeans, for example. I just think that it's a shame so many people are terrified of dressing in something that sticks out. People like me and others who dress differently shouldn't have to be thought of as 'brave' or some such nonsense. It's not a matter of being brave at all. I'm not afraid to go out dressed in clothes I like because I'm not ashamed of the person I have become, and I'm not afraid what people will think about me, because if I walked around worrying about such nonsense, I'd not be able to take a single step forward as the person I am today.

I'd be walking around as someone else.

No comments: