Search This Blog

Thursday 16 June 2011

Elves and humans

There are a lot of fantasy worlds out there - both in books and unpublished ones - where there are elves and other magical beings. My world where Karla lives are no different... But since I tend to put a lot of thought into detail, I started thinking about why elves look young and live so long.
I'd already decided that humans and elves should belong to two different species, and as such can't reproduce (I'm so tired of all half-half-being better than full stories...). The same goes for all species, pretty much. No half-dragons in my kingdom, no thank you! *giggles*
Anyway.
You know how they often say human cells can only divide as many times? I thought about it. What if elves were another multicellular being whose cells didn't divide, but clone themselves? That would explain why elves live so long, and why they keep looking young. I was also thinking they don't get scars for the same reason, but they are unable to regenerate if there are no cell that can clone - if they lose an arm for example.

I'll give it some more thought...

No comments: