Search This Blog

Sunday 27 February 2011

The greatest game in the world

Some of you might think that I'm refferring to World of Warcraft, but while that is indeed an amusing game it's only as fun as the people you play with. No, I'm referring to a far older game that I love very much. <3
The game? It's go.
If you have never played go before, the purpose is very simple; surround territory and capture your opponent. Go plays on a large board, with 19x19 lines on it, and you play on the intersections with black and white "stones" made of stone, glass, shell or plastic. Some very old games are said to have been played with gemstones.
While the rules are very simple (you can learn them here ) go gets more and more complex the more you play, and even after years of playing you find that you still haven't mastered the game. And that is one of the things that make go such an eternal, amazing game. Like the chessplayer finds chess exciting, the go player is every bit as excited about his game - once you hear go players talk about the game you realise just how much love and passion goes into it.
For me, I love the game above all games, but lately I have had precious little opportunities to play since I can't play online. I want to feel the stones in my hands, want to hear the sound they make when I put them down, I want to see my opponent - when I play online I just panic because I want to do well and play poorly.

Also, Hikaru no Go is one of my favourite mangas and the anime adaption is great (though it makes Akira seem quite a lot deal more aggressive and less sweet) - and believe it or not but when you are in the middle of a game and focus, it's every bit as exciting as the story tells you. It is truly a heart pounding experience! <3 If you have never played go, please try it!

This is me playing with a Chinese pro go player. It was a game of Shidougo (teaching game) on a tournament in Leksand some years ago.

No comments: