Search This Blog

Thursday 27 January 2011

Karla

To and fro since 2009 I've been fiddling with a fantasy novel. It started out as a idea, pushing at my mind, begging to get written down.
So I did.

Bit by bit, I managed 89 pages and got cold feet. You know, when you look at the story and think 'this is not like I imagined it'? So I did what good old Tolkien did - I started all over and just keeping the essentials. :) Now the story is like I wanted it to be in the first place!

I've translated a piece of it for you <3

Excerpt from "Karla":

When they had passed here a earlier in the morning, the streets had been empty and most of the workshops still closed. Now, a few hours later, everyone was up and the whole area was bustling with activity.
Many of the artisans along the street had part of their outside their shops under sunscreens with black slate. The air was thick with smoke from hundreds of chimneys andsmelled of tar and fresh wood. They passed several forges where the even sound of steel meeting red hot steel was heard, and now and then large clouds of steam obscured their viewas a smith downed his work in cold water.
Every street was marked out with thick pillars of stone bearing the name of the street, and each guild's symbol showing who reigned the block. They rode along the bigger street past the forges and on toward the carpenters block all the way up to Joiners Square where the biggest workshops were making furniture. The most popular masters could have as many as ten or more apprentices at once, and it was outside one of these large establishments that Cassandra dismounted. She gave the horse a gentle pat and motioned for Karla to follow her.


As always, all rights belong to me. ;) You may not alter and/or publish this text anywhere without my permission, even for closed societies.

No comments: